Imagine this… Biting into Perfectly Roasted Garlic-Herb Potatoes…. golden and crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside! The satisfying crunch! Oh, am salivating on my keyboard.
These roasted potatoes are so easy to make. With minimal work, you can have yourself an inviting crowd pleaser ‘roasty’ for a party, Christmas dinner or even a treat for the kiddos or Le hubby! These Perfectly Roast Potatoes are always a hit at my Christmas dinner table and are my sister-in-law’s favorite!
How do you like your roast potatoes? Today, I am sharing with you tips and secrets to making crispy roast potatoes.
Potatoes- The best potatoes for this roast are Yukon Gold or russet potatoes. Potatoes names vary with countries, tribes but basically, for this recipe any type of potatoes will do. In Kenya, just ask for ‘viazi za chips’Oil and Butter- For this recipe you can choose to use either vegetable oil or olive oil. The oil prevents the butter form burning.
Garlic-Herb Seasoning- I love garlic-herb seasoning! It is a versatile seasoning that I use practically in all my potatoes recipes! This is a seasoning that am not nervous using, since anyone will like it. To make my garlic-herb seasoning, I add some fresh garlic, mint leaves,rosemary, thyme, chicken cubes, cayenne pepper and black pepper to some heated butter and oil. The flavor this adds to my potatoes, just heavenly! You can use dried herbs or better yet, fresh herbs.. goals!
The Magical Process
Even sized potatoes- first, you will need even sized potatoes, so check your potatoes, cut the big ones to a size similar to the small ones, this way, you will avoid having some potatoes that are under cooked while others are over cooked.
Parboil the potatoes- Does it really matter for this recipe whether to start with cold or hot water when parboiling the potatoes. Not really, the reason why some recipes call for starting with cold water is to avoid having potatoes that are unevenly cooked. That is, the outside of the potatoes have cooked faster than the inside! But, for this recipe we need the outside flaked so that we can achieve the extra crispness on the potatoes. So either way!
Insert a fork to a potato to tell whether the potatoes have parboiled enough, the fork should pierce in easily but with slight resistance at the center.
Dry the potatoes- After draining the boiling water, return the pot on the stove on low heat and let the potatoes dry off, this will let the excess moisture evaporate and at the end have yourself crunchier potatoes.
Shake Shake- Shake the potatoes in the pot, don’t be too gentle! This roughens the edges of the potatoes and will ensure maximum crispness after roasting.
Don’t overcrowd- On the baking sheet, don’t overcrowd the potatoes, they should be in a single layer. Overcrowding will steam potatoes not roast them and the potatoes at the bottom will not crisp up.
High roasting temperature- Roast the potatoes at high temperature, and if the potatoes are co-sharing the oven with other dishes, let the potatoes be at the top part of the oven, where it is hottest.
Flip the potatoes- Half way through the cooking time, flip the potatoes for them to crisp on the other side too.
Resting- I know when the potatoes are done, they are so inviting, but please just give them a few minutes to rest and they will crisp up the more! Trust the process…
Do you sometimes feel like a ‘rosties’ day, why not combine these perfectly crunchy roasted potatoes with another ‘rostie’ like roast chicken or roast pork! Delish!
So, happy cooking lovely, I hope you try this recipe and if you like it, let me know.
Perfectly Roasted Garlic-Herb Potatoes
- 3 kgs potatoes peeled and cut into even sizes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil or olive oil
- 6-7 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 royco chicken cubes
- 1 tbsp rosemary dried or fresh
- 1 tbsp thyme dried or fresh
- 1 tbsp mint leaves dried or fresh
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius
To parboil the potatoes
- Peel the potatoes, cut into even sizes
- Wash the potatoes in cold water to get rid of starch
- Put the potatoes in a pot, add cold or hot water to cover the potatoes
- Add salt and parboil for 6-7 minutes until ready
To make garlic-herb seasoning
- As the potatoes parboil, on medium heat, add vegetable oil in a small pot
- Add the garlic and cook it for 1-2 minutes
- Add the butter, the royco chicken cubes, rosemary, thyme and mint leaves, cook for 1 minute
- Finally add the cayenne and black pepper powders
Getting ready for the oven
- Drain the water from the potatoes, return the pot on the stove and low heat drain the excess water off for 2 minutes
- Shake the pot until the outside of the potatoes roughen out, this roughness will crisp up during roasting
- Pour the seasoning over the roast potatoes to enhance the flavors of the roast potatoes
- Roast the potatoes for 30 minutes until golden and flip the potatoes and roast for another 20-30 minutes until golden and crispy.