- Nothing can beat home-made pilau masala when making pilau dish. Home-made pilau masala elevates pilau to a whole new level and that’s the secret to my great pilau. Am sure my friends are reading this and going… Oooooh… there! My secret is out!You really cannot compare store bought pilau masala with freshly home-made masala and it only takes 5-10 minutes to make.
- If you try this masala, and see the difference, tell me about it in the comment section. As I said making this pilau masala is so simple all you need is whole spices which you probably already have in your pantry or are easily found in most supermarkets. Basically, the whole spices are toasted and ground into a fine powder and the result is an amazing fragrant that calls neighbours for a call!The spices needed are;
- cumin and bay leaves which serve as the savoury spices
- Ground cayenne and black peppercorns which provide the heat
- Cinnamon stick and cloves which provide the sweetness
- Cardamom seeds which provide fragrance in the masala
Why make your own pilau masala?
- You control what is in it. Add more of what you like and reduce what you don’t like. As for me I love my masala with more cumin and cardamom and less cloves and black pepper corn.
- It is tastier than store bought ones. Store bought ones have lost most of their fragrance and flavor due to their life shelf.
- Homemade pilau masala is free from preservatives and additives.
- It is pretty easy to make!
Have fun making your own pilau masala…
Home-made Pilau MasalaHome-made pilau makes is the secret to flavourful pilau, and an amazing fragrance. Here is how to make your own.
- spice grinder
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 tsp Cloves whole
- 1 tbsp Cardamoms whole
- 1 tbsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp black pepper corns
- 1 Bay leaf
- On medium heat, dry roast the ingredients in a hot pan for 3-5 minutes while stirring to avoid the spices from burning.
- Remove from the heat, cool and grind the spices into a fine powder.
- Store in an airtight container.